Saturday, December 13, 2008

I decided to use what I have shared in a recent email to friends as a stating point to share an update about my recent medical issue. This may be an esaier way to update everyone on what is happening.

On Tuesday of this week, while on a business trip to Philadelphia, I had an episode that sent me to the ER. Initially my symptoms presented as a kidney stone, so we worked to pass it. While I was there, they did a CT scan to better diagnose the problem. What was found is a large mass on my left kidney. (Or maybe better to say my left kidney is a large mass.) Either way, "good feelings gone". (Click and watch about a minute of this video clip and you'll get the humor of it.) I am very thankful to have had my boss, friend, and brother in Christ (in ascending order of importance) with me that day. While there, I passed a blood clot, which was the issue that I was having. We were able to get me discharged from the ER and still catch our flight home that evening, because that is all I wanted at that point! Then the prayers begin!


At this point we prayed for the strength of Jesus Christ to carry my family and me, because we don't have the strength in ourselves. "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:13

On Wednesday I was able to see my family doctor, who referred me to a urologist and prayed with us. (I love that quality in a doctor.) My CT Scan images were still in Philly and the hospital did not FedEx, unless I provided an account number. (Not a problem, I am familiar with this web stuff.) Initially I was scheduled to see him on Thursday the 18th. We called again yesterday to see if we could get in sooner. They managed to work an opening in the schedule in the afternoon, quite a blessing, and my CT Scan CDs arrived via FedEx, another blessing!


"How great is our Lord! His power is absolute! His understanding is beyond comprehension!" - Psalm 147:5

We saw the doctor and reviewed the CT Scan images. We could see that the left Kidney was very large and the right was normal. Scanning through the images, he did not see anything of particular concern with the other organs. Since the scan was done without "contrast", we will more scans on Tuesday and a bone scan as well. Our prayer is that everything is confined to the one kidney and there are no other issues. We have decided to surgically remove the kidney next Friday the 19th. I will be in the hospital for 4 to 5 days, which should put me home for Christmas and recovery.

What can you do? ... Please pray, even if you don't think you know how to pray. Find a quite place, be humble before God, and just talk to Him.
Pray that the findings from the test results on Tuesday are good and that all is confined to the one kidney. If that is the case, then when the kidney is removed, the prognosis is very good.


“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today." - Matthew 6:31-34

May the love of Christ richly bless you and your families during this Christmas season!

Love,
Blane & Chris, Katie, Ross, Tommy and Julie

Our Family

1 comment:

Younce Family said...

Our family is keeping you and your family in our prayers. Your faith is your gift. Thinking of you.
Lyndsay & Ben Younce